The Wayne Literary Review
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Wayne State University—whose predecessor, the Detroit College of Medicine, was founded in 1868—is celebrating its sesquicentennial. In light of this event, for our 2019 issue, The Wayne Literary Review seeks submissions on the theme of place. We are particularly interested in perspectives on Wayne State University and Detroit that explore questions of memory and diaspora, time and transformation.
Do you have family snapshots or found photographs? Imagine the story behind some of these images, or behind an old pipe, or an amber glass bottle dug up in Corktown. Show us a neighborhood in a different time, a house that’s disappeared, perhaps around the time your grandmother was born. What brought your family to this city, to that house? What was the Main Building before it was Old Main? What did this campus look like, feel like, during moments of war, crisis, change? Was it this campus where your parents met? Tell us.
For this special issue, Wayne State University students and alumni, staff and faculty, and other community members are specifically encouraged to submit. We welcome submissions for this issue through February 15, 2019.
Here are our guidelines:
- Prose: One short story or creative nonfiction essay, maximum 3500 words. We also welcome flash-fiction submissions and novel excerpts.
- Drama: One-act plays or excerpts no longer than 3500 words. Please limit to one dramatic submission.
- Poetry: No more than three poems, not to exceed a total of six pages.
- Visual Art and Photography: Please submit no more than three photographs or images. High quality .jpg, or .png only. We encourage the submission of pen and ink or charchoal drawings, collage, family snapshots, found photographs related to Detroit, industrial drawings, and architectural layouts.
--- --- --- --- --- ---
- All submissions must be double-spaced, Times New Roman 12pt. font , using 1-inch margins, .doc or .docx only. Or follow the Proper Manuscript Format.
- At this time, we only accept electronic submissions.
- The Wayne Literary Review